Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My Journey in Babywearing

I am blessed enough to have two wonderful daughters! ILK is 7 years old and LMK is 16 months old. They are the loves of my life. But boy have they had different infant and toddler experiences.


ILK was my first. I was 25 and felt very unsure about everything. I listened to everyone’s advice. Did what people suggested. And you know what… she turned out wonderfully! So I am not knocking it. She is smart, funny, a great actress, and all around great kid. But if you are looking for how her journey was different from my second daughter’s… ILK was a cry-it-out, strictly on formula by 6 weeks, bucket baby.

LMK is my second. There are almost 6 years between her and her sister. And at 31 I was ready to do things differently. Thanks to some amazing support and a little pordding from friends before she was born, I have become (as an article in Time put it) an “accidental attachment parent.” LMK is a cosleeping, mostly breast fed and still nursing baby, and one that was worn.

Now here’s the why behind all of this… The cosleeping started as she got to big for her side car bassinet and I couldn’t get up in the morning for work after going into the nursery to nurse her several times a night. I am honestly still in shock over the nursing part, but I gave it a real try and I still love the bonding one-on-one time it gives us. But let’s talk about today’s main subject a bit more… Babywearing!

Babywearing came into my life thanks to an amazing friend and sorority sister, AM. Even before LMK was born she sent me maternity clothes and this incredibly long piece of material I couldn’t even begin to understand. But after talking to her (and being intimidated by this long cloth) I started exploring the idea more. When LMK was 2 months old I attended the very first meeting of the River City Babywearers (BWI of Central VA). There I was able to take my long cloth that still scared me and my free Seven Sling. I left with a borrowed ring sling and a drive to give this a try.



LMK in Her Sling

See I had a 5 year old. She was a busy kid. And she was FIVE! I couldn’t carry a baby in my arms all the time and be the parent I needed and wanted to be for ILK. So began my journey. I tried mei tais, ring slings, pouch slings, soft structured carriers, and even wraps (that’s what that long piece of material was actually called!) And thanks to all of those kinds of carriers I was able to start being more hands on again with my five year old.



LMK and I Hking Maymont

Thanks to babywearing I was able to go to and from the bus stop and have hands free to help with backpacks and lunch boxes and still hold ILK’s hand. Thanks to babywearing I went to swim team meets and banquets and could yell and scream and cheer AND hug a wet swimmer with both arms. Thanks to babywearing I went to great events, like the Renaissance Festival, without having to deal with a bulky stroller that would have kept me out of the stores and other hard to get to places. Thanks to babywearing we hiked Maymont Park, Washington DC, and other great places. Thanks to babywearing I really lived my life and was there to help create adeventures for both of my children. And I would be remiss without saying, thanks to babywearing I have met a wonderful group of women who are so supportive and welcomed me with open arms.

Babywearing has changed my life in so many more ways than I would have thought! I am outdoors more and participating in more events with my kids. I am hands on with my oldest even when my youngest in napping, because she is secure on my back. My youngest asks to go up on my back and loves to snuggle with me. My oldest is babywearing her dolls and knows every type of carrier and how to use them. I have gotten my mother wearing my youngest and my twin nephews! My twin nephews have born worn and held close since coming home from the NICU. And I have made so many friends, found a great support group, and am making new friends all the time just by wearing my child.



The Family that Babywears Together Stays Together

My journey is far from over. I am still wearing LMK at 16 months and hoping she will want to born worn for quite a while longer. And with 4 month old nephews I know I have more wearing in my future as well. Babywearing has become a part of my life and a part I hope to share with many others.


LMK On My Back and Nephew G On My Front


No comments:

Post a Comment